Documents We Need for Child Support Cases

Mark through DOBs and SSNs.

#1 Taxes
The last 2 years of income tax returns, including forms (W-2 forms, 1099 forms, K-1 forms, etc.), schedules, and attachments. If you haven’t filed tax returns yet, provide the forms for that year.

#2 Childcare
For the last 12 months, all documents showing the cost for current work-related child care expenses.

#3 Out-of-pocket Medical Expenses
If you seek any share of reimbursement by the other parent, or if you need to show you have paid them, provide documents showing the out-of-pocket payments you have paid for each child’s healthcare expenses, including medical, vision, dental, etc. for the last 12 months. Read more about medical expenses.

#4 Out-of-pocket Insurance Premiums
For the last 12 months, all documents showing any out-of-pocket cost to you (i.e., not paid by your employer or insurance company) for health, vision and dental insurance for each child. Please include a breakdown of the cost for only the child, usually available from your employer’s Human Resources office, if applicable. For example: Cost for family is $400, cost for only the employee is $200, and cost for spouse is $150 = cost for child of $50. Read more about insurance.

#5 Other Children and/or Former Spouse
Child support order for any child if not in the current case, and any alimony order if you pay or receive alimony.

#6 Payment Records
For the last 12 months, records that show how much child support you have actually paid. Check the NC Child Support Services site if you pay support through the state:

#7 Extraordinary Expenses
Documents of any extraordinary expenses, including private school tuition or extra-curricular activities.

#8 Your Pay
The last 12 months of pay stubs/earning statements.

#9 All Income
All other documents reflecting “income” from all sources beginning January 1 of the year the Lawsuit or Motion is filed through the present. This includes but is not limited to: salaries, wages, commissions, bonuses, VA or other kind of disability, public benefits, Social Security benefits, workers compensation benefits, unemployment insurance benefits, and alimony or child support received from someone who is not a party in this case, and income from ownership or operation of a business, partnership/practice or corporation. Read more about income.

#10 Contracts
Any prenuptial agreement (also called a premarital agreement), separation agreement, post-marital agreement, or other contract regarding you and/or your spouse or co-parent.

#11 Financial Affidavit (if self-employed)
You must complete the Form #4 Financial Affidavit Word format or PDF format

#12 Bank Statements (if self-employed)
For the last 12 months, individual and business bank statements. Online statements are okay. If preparing for a trial, Pitt County court rules require the last 12 months of cancelled checks, check registers, and evidence of checks paid.

#13 Credit Cards (if self-employed)
For the last 12 months, credit card statements for any credit card in your name (individually or jointly) or for which you are an authorized user (not just credit cards in your name).

#14 Business Taxes (if self-employed)
For the last 2 years, business tax returns, including forms (W-2 forms, 1099 forms, K-1 forms, etc.) and all schedules and attachments. If a tax return has not been filed for the preceding year, provide a copy of all forms (W-2 forms, 1099 forms, etc.) for that year.

Call us (252) 758-3430 with questions.

Print This Page