Where Do I Begin?
When you are facing a divorce or child custody dispute, it can be intimidating but the right attorney can give you peace of mind.
- Schedule a confidential consultation to get answers to your questions, and to find out what your rights and responsibilities are.
- Once you have the “big picture” of possibilities from your attorney, take the time to consider all of your options.
- Arrange for emotional support for you and your children when facing an upheaval such as a divorce or child custody case. This might be a pastor, counselor/therapist, or support group. But it might also be something as simple as setting aside time just for you every week.
How do we Achieve Our Goals?
The next thing to consider the way that you want to move forward. There are three main categories but there is plenty of overlap.
- The Court Process (Litigation and Mandatory Mediation)
- The Agreement Process (Negotiation)
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (Mediation, Collaborative Family Law and Arbitration)
What Does the Law Say?
Even before you talk with an attorney, it can be helpful to get an idea of the topics you’d like to discuss, and to start out with a general idea.